Monday, May 24, 2010

apricot jam spiced with ginger and sweetened with honey


I wanted to make the Snark apricot jam for her birthday, because she loves apricots. However, the Snark has a birthday in the melty ends of winter, when fresh apricots are few and far between. This was an issue.

Actually, you know what? I'm lying. It wasn't an issue. It was a challenge and it was fun.

I used dried apricots and a big bottle of apricot "nectar" (basically really nice juice) for flavor; a mild apple and a pear for texture; crystallized ginger for a bit of a kick. A little hesitantly, and after some internet reading, I bought some packets of powdered pectin. I've never made jam before; the closest I've come is a few jars of lemon curd. I wasn't sure this would turn out at all, but it did well enough.


Next time, if anything, I think I'd cook it a little longer and let it get even softer and less chunky. I did this between classes in an attempt to get it to the Snark within the actual confines of her birthday day, so there were some time constraints here I can probably avoid in any future attempts.

It came out tasty; sweet and a little spicy. I think I can certainly improve on it (or one of you can), but I'm quite happy with the first attempt.

Winter Apricot Ginger Jam
1/2 tsp powdered pectin
1/4 C sugar
1/4 C honey
1 apple, peeled and diced
1 pear, peeled and diced
6 oz. dried apricots, chopped
1/2 C crystallized ginger, chopped
4 C apricot juice
2 C water

Mix pectin, sugar, and honey into a large pot. Add all of the other ingredients and then boil until the jam is the thickness you want (at least an hour).

Clean three small mason jars well (including their lids and seals) in hot soapy water. Put on a second pot of water to boil. Ladle the finished jam into the jars and screw on the lids using a clean towel. Place the jars into the boiling water, making sure they are completely submerged. Boil 10-20 minutes, then remove from water. Let them cool.

To check if the jars are good: after they cool, poke the center of the lid. If it pops up and down, it didn't seal properly. If it's flat, you're good.

Supposedly, these jars can sit for several months without going bad. Once you open the jam, you have to refrigerate it.


Look at my pretty oat bread toast! And the jam, too, of course...

Has anyone else made jam or other fruit spreads before? With what fruits? Did you use pectin? How did it turn out for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Share thoughts, comments, reminisces of delicious things you've eaten, opinions, suggestions, knowledge, questions...