Thursday, May 20, 2010

intensely dense, rich, decadent chocolate brownies


I am an Alton Brown fan. I like science with my cooking, or cooking with my science, and entertainment with both of them. A lot of the recipes you see on here and a lot of any cooking science I might wax on about probably come from his show Good Eats or his baking cookbook (which I love. Best pie dough ever, by the way).

So this is an AB brownie recipe (from the show, not the book). And no, not even with AB can I cook without altering a few things. I wasn't too sure about the 300 degree oven he wanted me to bake this in, but I figure I have no idea what temperature my dorm house oven cooks at anyway, so I might as well try dialing it to 300 and seeing what happens (they turned out fine). This recipe didn't seem nearly chocolate-filled enough for me, so I added more. A cup of chocolate chips more. I'm on the far far end of the bell curve describing the population's desire for intensity of chocolate in desserts, so beware.When discussing names, The Snark volunteered (a great compliment from a traditional milk-hater) "Lactate Necessitating Brownies."

I also switched out the sugar for honey, to add a little bit of flavor and texture (and to get rid of the giant thing of honey I got for 24 Hour Comics (Almond butter and honey on ginger-orange scones? I highly recommend this). Anyway). AB didn't include any leavening, and I'm sure he has his reasons, but the brownies I had in mind definitely needed a bit more lift than the eggs alone would add, so I tossed in some baking soda.



Brownies
Adapted from Alton Brown's Brownie recipe (foodnetwork.com)
4 large eggs
1 C honey
1 cup brown sugar
8 ounces melted butter, salted
1 1/4 cups cocoa
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 C mini dark chocolate chips (I might even up this more, if, say, I was making this for my mother, who is worse than I am with chocolate. Or better)
1/4 C white chocolate chips (optional, but they're pretty. And nearly every ingredient in my recipes is optional)

Preheat the oven to 300.

Beat eggs until fluffy. Add both sugars and vanilla. Add cocoa, flour, and baking powder. Mix in chocolate chips.


Pour into greased and floured pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick poked into the center comes out clean and not goopy (it will still be moist). Let cool. Devour with a tall, cold glass of milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Share thoughts, comments, reminisces of delicious things you've eaten, opinions, suggestions, knowledge, questions...