Tuesday, June 22, 2010

chilled pasta salad with bay shrimp, sweet peas, and red onion


I first met this salad on the buffet table of a massive, locally famous Christmas party of some family friends. It's been a yearly event for our family since before I was born, so I don't remember quite what year of my youth I had a spoonful of this delicious pasta salad and had my baby tastebuds wake up and say, yes, this is good. 

But several years ago, when I had just first started puttering around in the kitchen, I turned to Mum after an Xmas party and said, "Can we get that recipe?" So my once-yearly holiday treat has become a staple at my family's house. Little sis calls it "Summer Salad" and we make it together. It's fantastic for a hot day, as the name suggests, and tasty, too.




Summer Shrimp Salad
courtesy of Sir Deadhead's lady sister
serves a large crowd, or a family of four for a few summer days

1 pkg of salad pasta (the teensy short cylinder kind), boiled and drained
1 red onion, diced fine
2 C peas, defrosted
juice of one lemon
2 lb bay shrimp
1-2 C mayonnaise (to individual preference)

Mix all ingredients together. Chill in fridge for at least one hour. Easy and tasty. Isn't that exciting?


What are your favorite summer meals?

1 comment:

  1. Hi, This is one of my favorite summer recipes for potlucks. I use elbow macaroni and to really kick this recipe up a notch add a 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and a pinch of old bay. Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Share thoughts, comments, reminisces of delicious things you've eaten, opinions, suggestions, knowledge, questions...