Sunday, June 6, 2010

a dense pecan zucchini quick bread


There was a green zucchini the size of my forearm sitting in the bread box when I came home for the weekend. Mum said, "Do something with it." I did.

The yellow ones are squash, also from the garden. I'm waiting impatiently for the tomatoes to start coming in. There's not much tastier (or nicer smelling) than a fragrant red tomato with some garden dust still on it. Do any of you have home vegetable or fruit gardens? What summer produce are you hoping for?


I tossed in some pecans, too, because we had them, and Mum's crazy for them. We always have a few bananas frozen in our house and I love to add them to my quick breads, so I did that, too.


The bread turned out decently tasty, but I think I might double the spices next time and switch some of the white sugar out with brown to add some depth of flavor. (However, take this advice with a grain of salt; I love my gingerbread, for example, but the Snark at least found it a bit too powerfully spicy. So my desire for spices in my spice breads may be akin to my desire for chocolate in, well, life...) 

Pecan-Zucchini Bread
3 eggs
1 C sugar
1/3 C honey
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 C grated fresh zucchini
1 banana
1/2 C melted unsalted butter

1 Tb baking soda
3 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 Tb cinnamon
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tsp allspice
1 small pinch each cayenne pepper, salt, and ground ginger

1 cup pecans


Preheat oven to 350. 

Beat wet goods together (sugar is a wet good). Stir in dry goods. In a food processor, whir 1/2 C nuts for 5 pulses, then add the other 1/2 C and pulse five times more. Add to batter.

Pour batter into greased, floured pans and bake 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Share thoughts, comments, reminisces of delicious things you've eaten, opinions, suggestions, knowledge, questions...