Friday, September 2, 2011

buttermilk scones

IMG_0323

Scones are a morning baked good for me. They're probably one of things I bake most often, and they're one of the things I associate most with half falling asleep with my hands in dough.

IMG_0329

For scones, I like to get up rather before I have to and enjoy the morning darkness and the morning light--grey is one of my favorite colors, and morning grey a favorite within the greys. This recipe takes about 45 minutes for me, from my alarm clock going off to having hot scones heaped on a plate.

IMG_0328

This is another in the continuing series of stuff-the-protagonist-bakes, inspired by a short story by the writer gyzym. This post traces its roots to the protagonist's "scones with the proper amount of vanilla," and my own undying love of buttermilk.

IMG_0330

Cream Scones
adapted from Joy of Baking's Cream Scones recipe , and gyzym's story "I've Got Nothing To Do Today But Smile (The Only Living Boy in New York)."
makes 10-12 scones

IMG_0322

2 C flour
1/4 C sugar
2 tsp baking powder
a few grates of fresh nutmeg
1/3 C butter, cold and cubed
1/2 C buttermilk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat your oven to 375. 

Combine the dry goods (flour, sugar, and baking powder) in a large bowl. Grate on a little fresh nutmeg. Add the cold butter, cut into small chunks, and use your fingers, a pastry cutter or a fork cut the butter into the flour until the whole mixture looks like big breadcrumbs.

Next, in a separate bowl, mix the buttermilk, egg and vanilla. Pour the liquid into the center of the dry goods. Fold the flour and the liquid together, trying to stir as little as possible.

Spoon the scones onto a baking sheet and shape into round mounds or triangles as you prefer. They will spread while baking so give them some room.

IMG_0320

I like mine best hot out of the oven with a little butter and jam and an early morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Share thoughts, comments, reminisces of delicious things you've eaten, opinions, suggestions, knowledge, questions...