Friday, January 7, 2011

pecan bourbon chocolate pie

picnikfile_IfayXU

Americans, how were your Thanksgivings?

The answer: a long time ago.

Holiday season and finals season hit simultaneously. I apologize for my once-a-week-if-you’re-lucky updates and hope you’ll forgive me if I throw a lot of tasty pies at you.

My Thanksgiving (as well as being a long time ago) was full of excellent company and my aunt’s divine cooking, supported by sous chefs in her two terribly tall sons and terribly tall husband. My family contributed five pies to the party, because I called up my grandmother, who normally buys the pies, and begged to take over that duty. I was in the middle of the school quarter and missed having flour in every crease of my hands.

So, the day before Thanksgiving, I drove five hours home and then baked five pies. Here is the first.

picnikfile_IfayXU

A friend brought this to a New Orleans themed potluck. It takes a pecan pie (already a star in my house) and raises it to new levels with the rich additions of chocolate and bourbon. Partway through my second slice (I would cap the night with four), I asked LC for the recipe and she kindly sent it. When brainstorming Thanksgiving pies, I knew I had to include this one.

I don't like the pictures much, but I loved this pie. I highly, highly recommend it, if you are any fan of butter, sugar, pecans, chocolate, or booze. I might even recommend it if you're not a fan of any of those things.
 
BOURBON PECAN PIE
Adapted from LC’s recipe
1 1/3 C brown sugar
2 C corn syrup
8 Tb bourbon
6 eggs
2/3 C butter
2 C pecans
1 C chocolate chips

Beat all ingredients but pecans. When I added the bourbon, I got wobbly-kneed from the fumes. I wouldn't drive very soon after eating this... especially if you eat it in the quantities I like to...

IMG_0105

Fold in the pecans, then pour into the pre-baked crust. Cut a strip of aluminum foil and wrap around the outer edge of the crust to keep it from burning. Bake at 375 for about 50 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Share thoughts, comments, reminisces of delicious things you've eaten, opinions, suggestions, knowledge, questions...