Thursday, August 19, 2010

a moist and savory acorn squash and mushroom bread pudding, topped with sharp cheddar cheese

IMG_0405

I had a big ol' acorn squash (after this recipe, I still have a big acorn squash because I used less than one quarter of it; for what I did with the rest click here) and a bag full of button mushrooms and I thought they'd work well together. These flavors together sort of put me in mind of buckle-hatted pilgrims and other elementary school illustrations about Thanksgiving.

The plan was for quiche, but this quiche turned out a little less like a quiche and a little more like a savory bread pudding, so that, I decided, is what it is. Tasty, though not what I intended. My custard soaked into the crust; maybe I didn't cook the custard long enough before I poured it into the crust; maybe I should've used cream or 2% milk instead of nonfat (all I had in the fridge). I think probably the latter. Your thoughts?

Savory Acorn Squash and Mushroom Bread Pudding
If you cut the quiche into twelveths, one slice has approx. 160 calories and 14 carbohydrates.

THE CRUST/THE BASE FOR THE SAVORY PUDDING
Make AB's Pie Crust. This is my favorite pie crust because it's both fairly simple and very delicious. It transformed into something rather different by the end of the evening, but it added its normal tasty, tender, flaky self to the party.

IMG_0399

THE FILLING
1 C acorn squash, cubed
2 C mushrooms, halved
1/2 onion, diced
3 eggs
2 C milk (I used non-fat, but feel free to substitue some 2% or even cream for a richer quiche)
1/4 C grated cheese (I used cheddar, because we had it, but pick any cheese you like)

Roast squash in the oven for 15 minutes. To save time, just stick the squash in the 425 oven when you're pre-baking the crust.

Meanwhile, brown the mushrooms and onions in a frying pan. Add the vegetables to the pre-baked crust.

Heat the milk in small pot. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Temper them together by adding small amounts of the hot milk to the eggs and whisking quickly. When about one third to one half of the milk has been added, pour the rest in and whisk together.

IMG_0402

Pour egg and milk mixture over the squash and mushrooms. Sprinkle on the grated cheese evenly.

Bake for 35-40 minutes. The center will still wiggle a bit when shaken, but the edges should be firm. AB suggests you let it cool 15 minutes before serving.

IMG_0407

What have you made that turned out tasty but completely different from what you expected?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Share thoughts, comments, reminisces of delicious things you've eaten, opinions, suggestions, knowledge, questions...