Monday, April 5, 2010

homemade chicken broth

When I say I've made soup from scratch, I mean that I'm the one who sliced the carrots, sauted the onions, shredded the chicken breast, and poured the broth out of the can into the pot. This definition satisfies me, even if there are those who swear by homemade chicken broth. I'm sure it's delicious, but what a time commitment!

But it was vacation. I had long, empty days, a chicken carcass, and a willing kitchen. They say chicken soup is good for the soul--and homemade chicken broth, I'm sure, is even better. I can't weigh in on that debate yet, I'm afraid (other than my gut instinct that food-not-from-a-can will always prevail in quality over food-from-a-can). This broth never made it to soup, because it got waylaid in my shrimp risotto instead. But, as Alton Brown would say, that's another show.


Chicken Broth

1 chicken carcass
8 C water
1/4 onion
3 carrots
1 clove garlic
1 Tb whole peppercorns

Put everything into a large pot. Bring to a boil then simmer for six hours. Fat will rise to the surface; ladle it off occasionally (unless you really like chicken fat, or, like me, forgot). Use immediately or refrigerate.

If you don't ladle off the fat, it will form a white disk on the surface of the broth when refrigerated. I imagine there are many interesting uses for flavorful chicken fat.

Makes about 1-2 C broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Share thoughts, comments, reminisces of delicious things you've eaten, opinions, suggestions, knowledge, questions...